New journalism
I was thrilled to hear Tom Warhover, executive editor of the Missourian, announce in class on Monday that he thinks the inverted pyramid will soon fade. I despise the inverted pyramid. I say, the sooner the better. It's so dull. Maybe not, but that's how I've always seen it. I was relieved when Jeremy told our section that our beat stories could be more magazine style. You know I'm going to use that privilege. Anyway, I was not so happy with the recent alternative Warhover presented. He directed us to asap.ap.org, the AP's new site written in a different format. I didn't like the example he showed us in class at all. It looked like unnecessarily long bullet points to me. I was reminded of this format in today's report on the public defender system. I guess it's not that bad, but something about it still bothers me. I think I like what Warhover called the Wall Street Journal approach best. It weaves one person's story into a larger issue. I hope I can master that before I stop reporting next year.

1 Comments:
Once a student gets the basics of the inverted pyramid down, she's ready to do more interesting work. I agree with you on the Journal, too. It tends to have great writing.
Post a Comment
<< Home