Bound to books
The Missourian ran a cute feature on page 1 about Friends of the Library. The story itself wasn't particularly notable, but I am a big fan of the topic. I've known about the organization for about three years, but sadly haven't gotten involved past supporting them at book sales. Through these sales, I have been exposed to three different chapters. I was surprised to find that they are all pretty good, even the one in my small hometown. I love their book sales. I've come across a lot of good stuff there. Some of my favorites include: L'Engle, Stoppard, Wordsworth (a 1904 hardback copy in great shape --$1), Wiesel, Joyce, Simon, and Huxley. The Friends of the Library chapter of Estes Park, CO had a sale while I was there this summer. Of course, most of the "souvenirs" I brought home wound up being books...I brought literally a boxful back. I'm always a little surprised when I come across classics and stumble upon something I've never heard of by a well-known author. In Estes, I found a book by Goethe. The title has slipped my mind, but the book itself is very memorable. It's an 1896 hardback edition, but it looks like it's from the 1920's or 30's. It's in amazing shape. Needless to say, that was my most exciting purchase of the summer. Hmmm. Maybe that's a little sad, but it certainly is true. In the words of one Columbia Friends volunteer: "Somebody told me there was a book sale, and I'm an avid reader; so I came looking for books. You can't stop an avid reader from having his books." It is encouraging to see people band together to promote literature and literacy. The only sad thing about Friends of the Library is that it is often dominated by older people. I hope people my age will get involved in Friends and similar organizations. I know I will, but one person will not be enough.

5 Comments:
You are such a kindred spirit, Jennifer! Reading this entry took me back to our honeymoon, finding dusty treasures in the back rooms of an old used bookshop in Fayetteville. We still have some of our treasures. I'm thinking I need to haul myself out to a FotL sale after reading this!
I didn't know you were a L'Engle fan. May I inquire as to your favorites?
Well, I just read The Other Side of the Sun. I loved it. My favorite books come and go like the wind, though. I must say with some shame that it's been years since I've read anything else. I bought A Wrinkle in Time, but haven't had time to reread it yet.
Try Walking on Water. It will make the creative writer in you catch her breath. :) I've not heard of The Other Side of the Sun, but will keep an eye out for it, now. :) Thankyew!
You really are a kindred spirit!
As I recall, we came back from Fayetteville broke.
I think we were pretty much broke when we left FOR Fayetville, Hon.
Post a Comment
<< Home