Friday, November 18, 2005

Requiem

The University Choral Union performed Mozart's "Requiem" last night in Jesse Auditorium, and the Missourian ran a piece about it beforehand. I kind of liked the picture they used with it, but I wasn't too impressed by the article itself. I didn't get the feeling that the reporter had put very much work into it. I could be wrong, of course, but the quotes seemed like replies to questions that would be asked on the spot. The people she quoted, too, seemed like impromptu choices, "man on the street" interviews. The exception to that was Paul Crabb, who directed the choir. However, one quote from him was irrelevant. " "We lift on the dot," he told the musicians at one point during a rehearsal Tuesday evening in Jesse Auditorium. "We put lots of energy in the eighth note. Everyone." " This came after an indirect quote from Crabb about what he wants to do in rehearsal. Nonetheless, I don't think this particular quote added anything to the story. Besides, those were choral directions, and the phrase "he told the students at one point" seems to indicate a comment or ... well, not directions or instructions. I think AP quote style was ignored at the end. Jeremy keeps telling us that quotes need to go at the beginning of a paragraph. Of course, I don't know what the exceptions to that are yet, and I'm sure there are some. Anyway, there was a quote within a paragraph here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!