Ragtag: A debate with myself
The Ragtag is moving! I'm excited, but I'm also a little disappointed and worried. I realized right before I came to Columbia that I have a tremendous fear of change, and I guess that fear is reflected in my thoughts about the new Ragtag. Honestly, I haven't been the Ragtag too often. In addition to being pessimistic, I'm also, well, let's just call it thrifty. I don't go to the movies very much, because they're usually overpriced. However, I have yet to be disappointed by a movie showing at the Ragtag. Ragtag is responsible for my new delight in foreign and offbeat movies, and it is by far the best theater I've been too. After I'd been to Ragtag, I always feel a little disappointed when walking into a mainstream theater. Really, where but Ragtag can you get an introduction to the movie, an intermission, and a chance to sit in real chairs and sofas, the kind you find in someone's living room or at a yard sale? It's great. I am worried that it will lose that homey comfort when it moves to its new larger location. The new Ragtag will have two screens. Again, I'm glad. This way it can show more movies more often. That's great. With having double the space, though, I am afraid that it will be hard for it to maintain its atmosphere. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it plays out. The owner says he wants to keep Ragtag's "funk quotient" (which may be the best phrase I've heard in a while), but also wants to attract a new audience. A little worrisome ... I am immensely excited about the new location, though. It's closer to campus. Yay! I'm sure this will help attract the customers the owner is seeking. I'm also sure it'll bring me there more often.
A couple of random notes:
I loved the reporter's decision to write this story in play format. It was unusual, but very fitting.
An update on the story I blogged about recently: the tax proposal passed, and the follow-up piece said that the incentive was a reduced property tax. Still not too specific, but better. I also think I was a little harsh about the missing information -- I'm starting to realize just how hard it is to get the information you need when you need it. It's incredibly frustrating, too.

2 Comments:
What is this ragtag? It sounds right up my alley. I rarely see a movie preview anymore and say, "I want to make sure I see that."
nevermind, I read the article. Sounds like a fun place.
Post a Comment
<< Home