Meeting the future
A lot of questions have been raised about the quality of the generations that will be controlling the world within a few decades. I have to say that I agree, for the most part. I know a lot of really dumb teenagers. On the other hand, I know a lot of dumb people my mom's age, too. Are generations really getting stupider as the years go by, or is it just our perceptions? I don't know, actually, but I wanted to encourage those who read this about some of the people who belong to this generation. They're not all dumb; some are brilliant. I have to brag about a few of my friends from high school; two are graduating this year, and another will be graduating next year. The one graduating next year isn't sure what she wants to do yet, but, knowing her, it doesn't matter. She's quite brilliant. I think she'll be graduating as valedictorian or salutatorian. Of course, titles don't matter much, I suppose. My genius friend who's graduating this year won't be valedictorian. It's always those stupid weighted classes in high school... Anyway, he is undoubtedly, like I said, a genius. He's already been accepted to loads of colleges, including UMR and MIT(!!!!!), and is applying to an engineering school that pays for tuition and board because it's incredibly selective. I am so proud of him. I can't wait to see what innovations he'll make in the computer field. And to imagine, we were in many of the same activities when I was in high school. I always knew... Another friend of mine is going to UMR to study nanotechnology (as far as I know). I suspect he'll be brilliant there, too. Of course, all three of them are gifted, so they're in the minority. Nonetheless, all hope is not lost.
3 Comments:
It is late, and Great Scott! and the girls are asleep, so trying to stifle a laugh over this nearly go me in trouble: "I know a lot of really dumb teenagers. On the other hand, I know a lot of dumb people my mom's age, too."
Well spoken!! (The entire post--excellent and very encouraging post--as well as that particular comment.)
Indeed, indeed. Everybody goes through the dumb teenager period. Most of us even outgrow it.
I'm so glad that the panthers still have quality litter down there in SoMo. I look back fondly.
Best luck with your interesting classes! (boring ones too)
Post a Comment
<< Home