Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Adopt-a-library

'Tis the season for giving ... and you can tell by looking at the Missourian. There were three stories about vounteering and donating on one page. One was a church's gift raising for needy families, one was about woodworkers carving toys for children and the one that interested me most did not even deal with Christmas. Rather, it's another hurricane relief story. At this point, to be perfectly honest, when it comes to the writing they're all exactly the same. It seems that the idea for this story was generated from a press release, because it quotes someone and then follows with "... said in a statement." Nonetheless, it did capture my attention, mostly because I think that books are not something people generally tend to collect as a form of charity. Of course, there are all sorts of implications there, but in the case of the hurricane, I guess it's right. Books are definitely not a priority. I'm glad to see that our library is going to help another one to get back on its feet. I can't imagine what the library in New Orleans looks like, and I guess I'm a little glad of that. It would be a sad, sad sight. Anyway, the library lost its reference, African-American and juvenile collections of award-winning books, all of which were on the first floor. If interested in donating books, librarian Anne Barker is asking that people e-mail her the title, author and book information at BarkerA@missouri.edu

MU libraries help New Orleans

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!