Friday, December 09, 2005

Manhood

This is a topic I know absolutely nothing about. My childhood was basically completely free of masculine influence, except on special occasions. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this Postscript about boys growing into men. I don't really like the lead; it seemed a little trite. However, the rest of was excellently written. He used fresh, unique metaphors, and that added tremendously to the piece. I would never have thought of describing rites of passage that have faded as tired dogs lying on the porch. However, it fits. The passage in which he compares modern men to Sisyphus made me feel sorry for men for a few minutes ... then I thought, "It's harder for women." No, I'm just kidding. This piece did make me think twice, though, at my assumptions about men and their feelings/thoughts. I tend to jump to conclusions, and the author made me realize that some of them are wrong. I loved his closing -- "So, ladies, the next time you stare at the phone and you wonder why we haven't called yet, just remember what we went thrugh to get your number in the first place." I've seen so many girls do that. It's a little sad, really, but that's another entry. It is an easily relatable (Is that really a word? I mean easy to relate to.) phrase, and it does sum up the entire piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!